Irritable Bowel Syndrome, commonly known as IBS, causes misery to millions. After the common cold, it is the most frequent reason for visiting a GP. Fortunately, much can be done to control and even overcome the worst symptoms through diet and exercise.
The First Year: Irritable Bowel Syndrome is an informative patient-expert’s guide to managing this condition. Heather Van Vorous, herself an IBS sufferer for over two decades, helps the reader understand how the digestive system works and why things go wrong. She then details the range of treatment options and vital lifestyle changes necessary for improvement, explaining:
· Five key strategies to control symptoms
· Ten commandments of eating for IBS
· How exercise can help
· How stress affects IBS and how to manage it
· Effective complementary therapies
· How to eat safely at restaurants, with friends and when travelling