Sceptre: Temporary Editorial Assistant Role
Hodder & Stoughton is looking for a temporary Editorial Assistant at its literary imprint, Sceptre, for a minimum of 2 months. The position offers the opportunity to work on both fiction and non-fiction titles and to engage in many aspects of the publishing process.
What you’ll be doing
- Reporting to Sceptre’s Publishing Director and Editorial Director and providing them with administrative support.
- Project-managing forthcoming books from manuscript to print/ebook:
- briefing freelancers and checking their work
- liaising with authors to resolve queries
- preparing prelims
- collating proofs and checking ebooks
- acting as the main point of contact between the editorial, art and production teams for allocated projects.
- Providing editorial support, including but not limited to:
- assisting with cover copy
- ensuring metadata is kept up to date
- submitting titles for awards
- ensuring sales teams have the material they need
- reading submissions
- carrying out administrative tasks in relation to allocated projects.
Who we’re looking for
We are looking for someone who is familiar with the editorial process. The successful candidate will be:
- Motivated, enthusiastic and with a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Interested in process and eager to learn
- Highly organised with a meticulous eye for detail
- Able to multitask and organise effectively
- Confident with excellent grammar, spelling and verbal communication skills
- A competent administrator with knowledge of Microsoft Office. Knowledge of Biblio would be a bonus
- A keen reader.
What we offer
This role offers the opportunity to gain experience working on the literary imprint of a major publishing house. You will work with a small and friendly team on a variety of books. There will be on-the-job training in any systems and processes you are not familiar with.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
Salary: £23,000 per annum pro rata
Closing date: 19th May 2019
Please apply in writing with a full CV and covering letter to: email@example.com
Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are only able to get in touch directly with shortlisted candidates. If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please do let us know.